Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lawyers vs. Real Estate Agents

"My wife is an attorney, I don't need an agent"
"My best friend has a law degree, why do I need to hire an agent"
"I have bought many houses in my day, there is no reason to hire an agent"

I have heard them all. But if I said, that I work for free? Would you hire me? What if I said, I will represent you and provide you access to multiple attorneys for free? Would you hire me? What if I told you, I would save you money, protect your house from any loss and negotiate on your behalf, as well as do all the paperwork for free? Would you hire me then? Would you still say you don't need to hire a real estate agent? Well, okay, maybe you feel like you do not need an agent, but would you like one to do all the work for you and pay you for it? Still NO? Good, I do not want anyone to hire me, I want to hire them. What do I mean by this...buyers can not hire agents, that would mean that they are paid and are working for the buyer. All I want to do is work with you and consult with you and guide you in the right direction. (Can I hire someone as a buyer?...I promise I will pay you more than you pay me!)

I get frustrated when I here people say these things, because they are completely uneducated on what agents do and what benefit they provide and how much they cost. So I am going to explain things in a simple way.

1. Buyers do not pay anything to have representation.
2. Real Estate agents are paid from a listing agreement with the seller and the sellers agent, before a buyer even comes along.
- So, the thought that one is getting a better price because the seller is only paying one agent is false. That seller has already agreed to pay XXX amount. The only difference is that they are either paying two agents and splitting it 50/50 or they are paying ONE agent the entire amount. Again this amount is determined when the house is first listed on the market.
3. My buyers, as well most buyers when they use a real estate agent are not only represented by a Licensed agent, but are backed by errors and omission insurance and multiple attorney's. All of my contracts are review by an attorney. (Yes all of this is still free)
4.Real Estate agents are required to update and continue their education with a min. of 15 hours each year. These classes are to understand changes in contracts and real estate law. (which changes every year)
5. Real Estate agents are more qualified and more knowledgeable in the field of Real Estate, than attorneys are. Period. Oh, and they cost a whole lot less.

Now, do not get me wrong, if you work with a real estate agent and want to hire an attorney separate to review everything, well than sure, more power to you. I will however tell you that I have never had anyone question my team of real estate attorney's and hire their own.

I only have one question to leave with...

IF YOU GET A DWI.. DO YOU CALL A REAL ESTATE AGENT, WHAT ABOUT A CAR SALES MAN (they know all about cars)? NO, SO WHY WOULD YOU HIRE AN ATTORNEY TO DO A REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION?

No comments:

Post a Comment